Friday, September 7, 2012

Flannel Quilt

This was another project I did for the new grand baby, but it will work on any size quilt, just adjust the size and/or number of blocks. This one took me about two days, but I probably could have finished it in one, if I didn't have to go to work. 

I bought the fabric first, based on my daughter's theme and color preference.  It could definitely be done with scraps or leftovers.

I decided how big I wanted the quilt, then divided by the fabric I had chosen, and added a half inch for the seams. This was my block size. I like to use a rotary cutter (I use the Fiskars 81514 Contour Rotary Cutter-45mm )and a mat, (like the  Alvin OL-RM12S 12 in. x 12 in. Olfa Rotating Rotary Mat), but you could use scissors, just try to keep your blocks square and even.

After I cut them, I laid them out so they followed a pattern. If you use scraps or leftovers, just be sure not to get the same patterns  next to each other. 
Sew the squares together into strips, right sides together. I like to iron the seams flat, before the next step.
Then sew the strips together. Once again, I like to press.
Then, I cheated a little, and found an awesome tutorial on how to do the backing, with mitered corners. I followed her instructions, and it was so easy! It looked great, and I will use her technique again! Thank you so much to Virginia at Gingercake!

Here is the finished project...



My daughter was thrilled with it! I can't wait to make another!

Thanks for reading my blog.
Happy crafting!
Crafty Claudia


No comments:

Post a Comment